Friday, February 14, 2014

Once Upon A Time...

Once upon a time....


Every story I cherished growing up started just like this,  “Once upon a time.”  There was always a man whose charm and whit made him loved by the most beautiful of maidens.  As a young girl growing into a young woman I was filled with this longing to find my one and only.  Something that I hadn’t realized though was I had found the man I would love unconditionally forever when I was six years old.  This wasn’t a half-hearted kind of love that would fade over time, it was a love that exists between two people with an unbreakable bond.

If you had asked me yesterday if I thought love at first sight was actually relevant I would have laughed in your face.  But as I sit here and seriously consider the notion I realize that it happens often.  Every time a mother first glimpses her newborn baby I can only imagine the kind of happiness and love that consumers her heart.  Yet I have a notion of what that overwhelming sensation on love would feel like.  The first time I saw my baby brother it was as if God himself had come to Earth to grant me the opportunity to become something so much more than I had intended.  He had given me a reason to achieve beyond my goals and make the best out of my life so that I could give him all I could.  I wanted to be the kind of person that he would always be proud to say, “That is my big sister.”

As the years went by I got to watch a beautiful baby turn into a handsome young man.  He is kind, honest and loving.  Qualities that many young men to not posses today.  The more he grows the more we become equals.  I am able to come to him when I need a shoulder to cry on and he always has an open ear to listen to me when I need to talk.  He is more than just my brother, he is my best friend.  So as I sit here and contemplate what truly loving someone means, I automatically think of the unconditional and never ending love I have for my baby brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment