Saturday, February 22, 2014

To Feel

"You hurt my feeling."

The first time my father said this I had to stop and ask him to repeat himself.

Yes, he had indeed said, "feeling."

I asked him if he had meant to use the singular version of the word, and he confirmed my question with  such enthusiasm that I couldn't help but chuckle.

If only it were that simple.

To only be able to experience a single feeling at once.

The range of human emotion has always baffled me.

How can someone feel happy, disappointed, and angry all at once?

When asked how you are feeling how can you simply respond with a single answer?

If you take a moment to truly ponder how you are feeling the array of sensations all taking place at once is dizzying.

Often when I experience something unpleasant my first reaction is anger.

Yet once I take a mere second to really ask myself what it is that I am feeling, anger is usually just a tiny portion of the underlying emotions that are pooling around me.

It is so much easier to revert to simple emotions such as: happy, sad, angry, than it is to feel everything that you are undergoing.

So why exactly is it that the human mind conjures up so many different emotions to particular situations?

Would it be easier to be a creature that did not feel, but instead relied simply on logic?

Or is it this crazy spectrum of madness that makes us what and who we are?


No comments:

Post a Comment